Blog views since 1/27/2010

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Top 5: Horror


Adam's Top 5:

5. Shaun of the Dead - Now I know some of you are thinking wait… that’s not a horror film. I don’t care its being placed in this category. It has a couple of scary moments and plenty of zombies therefore it fits. Simon Pegg and his co-star Nick Frost did a wonderful job. There were a lot of laughs in this movie and if you haven’t seen it you need to. You know you and your friends have talked about what you would do in a zombie apocalypse. I bet none of you had the bright idea of holding up in a bar. These two did and that gives them bonus points. Zombies and Beer. Hello heaven.

4. The Blair Witch Project - Okay so I know the camera work was shitty and the acting wasn’t all that great. Who wants to stare up that chick’s nose for 40 minutes while she cries. I swear that part had me dry vomiting. But all that aside, it was re-inventing. The fact that the group managed to get a lot of people psyched and believing that this crap was real before the movie even came out was brilliant. The movie itself even had is scary moments and although it caused some people motion sickness, it had a way of putting you ‘there’. If anyone’s ever been on a camping trip and been scared out of their mind then this movie will hit home. It’s at least worth watching ‘once’ in your life.

3. Halloween (The Rob Zombie re-make) - So the classic in itself is good, but Mr. Zombie did an excellent job remaking it in his own image. He was able to still keep it in it's classic style but put enough modern twist to it that it brought the ‘scare’ back into Halloween. Even the music was brought back and can now re-install terror into the minds of people who didn’t have the chance to be scared by the first one. For that and his way of recapturing the old film, Mr. Zombie gets placed on the number 3 list.

2. The Grudge - This movie I know didn’t scare many. But it hit home with me. One, it was a classic Japanese horror story brought to life in the real world. It was one of the better movies Sarah Michelle Gellar was in. I think what made it for me was that it was ‘different’ than some of the horror movies that had been out at the time. True supernatural terror. Those little kids were scary as hell and kept me up for weeks. One of my friends had managed to mimic that low crawl throat noise one of the monsters did and he scared me for hours by creeping up behind me and doing that. Now, I’m no little girl when it comes to scary movies but for some reason this one struck home with me. Once again as far as horror movies go this one you need to go see at least once. For some people it wont be scary at all, for others it will be a one time watch and then a week of no sleep.

1. Paranormal Activity - HOLY CRAP. Okay so if the damn Grudge was scary this one was terrifying! This group of college kids who put this movie out knew EXACTLY what to do. The whole movie is filmed on low budget equipment and had a cast of about 5 people. Didn’t matter. I’m telling you kids, keep an eye on Oren Pili. The guy is going to make some excellent horror films in the future. This movie started with a low creep up your spine until you were about ready to wet yourself. The ending wasn’t exactly what you expect but it was enough of a hit that it left you shaking. I’m STILL having nightmares about that movie and it’s been out for a while now. If you haven’t seen it, it is a must rent! The movie is out now on DVD and from what I understand it has an alternate ending that you can watch. I might rent it to see the alternate ending but I’m still not sure if I’m over how scary it was. This hits home on my number 1 list just because of how scared it made me. If a movie can freak me out that bad it deserves this spot in my horror movie collection.

Jessie's Top 5:

So, before I start this list, I think you should know that my absolute favorite genre is horror. I love anything even remotely categorized as scary and it was incredibly difficult to pick just 5 top horror movies and I’m sure that I’m forgetting some that I absolutely love and just can’t think of right now. I decided to base my list on the top 5 movies that scared me the most. These are all movies that gave me nightmares and still to this day will sometimes pop into my head at night and creep me out.


5. The Skeleton Key – This had the most unique story line and it was definitely creepy. I think this one was more of a psychologically scary movie but it for sure got into my head and really freaked me out. And the twist at the end was just amazing. I did not see that one coming at all and it’s because of that twist that this movie made it on to my list.


4. Quarantine – This genuinely scared the crap out of me. It was so well done with the whole feel-like-you’re-there thing, but it wasn’t the shaky make-you-feel-nauseous camera work like The Blair Witch Project. The story line made sense, it even made sense why there was someone filming the entire thing, and it was truly creepy. It was also a very unique horror movie which you really don’t see too many of these days.


3. The Grudge – Alright, now I know a lot of people thought this movie was stupid but it gave me nightmares for like two weeks. Not even kidding. I still sometimes think that creepy little kid/cat thing is gonna be looking at me from the edge of my bed when I wake up. I wouldn’t even let my sister mention this movie for 3 or 4 months after I saw it, and I still won’t watch it for a second time. Once was enough, thank you very much. Even writing about it is giving me the heebie jeebies.


2. Halloween (the original) – How could you have a top 5 horror movie list and not include the original Halloween? This is my all time favorite scary movie. I think this was the second scary movie that I ever watched (Scream being the first) and it totally got me hooked on this genre. It’s just the ultimate scary movie and it was the first of it’s kind which in and of itself makes it incredible. I mean, what else can I say, it’s Halloween!


1. Paranormal Activity – This was the most original, most freaky movie that I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s definitely true that what you don’t see is a lot creepier than what you do. This movie was done so realistically and it just was incredible. There were actually parts in this movie that I couldn’t watch because the suspense was too great. That’s never happened to me before. There have been movies that I’ve looked away from because the scene was just too gross to watch, but I’ve never had to look away from a movie because I was too scared to see what came next until this one. This was definitely the scariest movie that I’ve ever seen in my life and I think that everyone should see this movie. Well, only if you’re willing to sleep with a light on for the next two weeks…



We know that this is a little different than our usual reviews, but there just wasn't anything playing this weekend that either of us really wanted to watch. Let us know in the comments if you like this type of blog and if you want us to do more like these, or if you'd rather just read the regular reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Paranormal Activity has got to be the scariest movie I've ever seen in my life. I'm not kidding, I had to sleep with Disney Channel on for like 2 weeks because it scared me so badly, and only kiddy stuff could get my mind off of it. I really don't think I've ever been so scared of a movie in my entire life, and never have I had so much trouble sleeping alone.
    I do agree with Jessie about the skeleton key. It wasn't all that scary to me, but the plot was too good to overlook.
    The ring also scarred me for life. I still freak out if my TV does that grey, loud, white noise thing. Maybe it's just because I was 13 when I watched it, but I just haven't been the same since. I refuse to watch it again.
    Last movie that I think needs mentioning is The Unborn. A lot of people thought it was stupid, and I admit, the story line was lacking, but I had my face covered most of the movie, and was still screaming. It absolutely terrified me! I had to sleep with my mom like a little kid for 3 days before I was willing to sleep in my own bed. I'm not sure what exactly it was about that movie that was so terrifying images. Like the old guy you see in the previews that's crawling backwards with his head twisted weird, stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete