Blog views since 1/27/2010

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shutter Island



Jessie's thoughts:
4 pops

You know, this movie was pretty “wow”. It was appropriately creepy at times but it was more suspenseful than an actual horror. It was definitely the type of movie that will get into your head and really make you think about it after you watch it.
What I really liked and enjoyed about it was that I thought I knew exactly what was going on and what was gonna happen and then at the end I realized that I was totally wrong. Part of it was somewhat predictable but the details are what threw me. I actually would love to go see this movie a second time now that I know what happens. It’s one of those movies that you kind of have to see twice, I think, to completely appreciate all the subtle hints and imagery.
Now, even though this was a very psychologically thrilling movie, there were some parts that were kind of slow. Don’t get me wrong, 95% of the time I was totally into the movie and really, really enjoyed it, but it was that other 5% that kept this from getting 5 pops from me. There were just a few places that kind of lagged. But that’s really the only bad thing I can say about it, and that’s really not too big of a deal. Leonardo DiCaprio was wonderful as usual, Mark Ruffalo was equally impressive, and the storyline was very unique and entertaining. This is a definite must see.

Adam's thoughts:
4 pops

I was very impressed with this movie. I find myself pleasantly surprised when I watch a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. He is a brilliant actor and I think sometimes he is overlooked. The movie itself was a surprise, I found myself enjoying this movie when I did not have very high expectations. It took you on a compelling ride of the mind. One moment you believe you know what is going on and then the next they reveal a loop. I thought I had figured the movie out in the beginning but there were definitely some twists I did not see coming. Director Martin Scorsese did a wonderful job in capturing the theme in this film. You wanted to know what would happen next, something a lot of films are messing up these days.

The film could have used a little bit of a pick up. The only bad thing I can say about it was that it was slow. You spent a lot of time in his dreams and a lot of time in the man's head before anything revealing happened. Of course, most of it was to hint at the twist at the end but maybe in its delivery it could have been done differently. But even in this negative statement I still don’t find it that bad of a quality. It wasn’t as slow as some other movies and still kept me entertained.

I highly recommend you see this movie, I don’t know if you have to see it in theaters but I think on the big screen it was more enjoyable. The theme and the actors managed to come across better at least in my mind. If you don’t want to push the dough to see it in theaters then you have to rent this one. It's worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment