Blog views since 1/27/2010

Friday, April 23, 2010

Kick-Ass




Jessie's thoughts:
3 pops

Ok, so, this movie was interesting for sure. I really thought the story line was very unique and I definitely liked how realistic it was in some ways. Because, let’s face it, if there were real super heroes in the world, they’d have to be a little bit crazy in order to mentally handle all the things they would have to do. However, I believe that the trailers for this movie were very misleading. I thought that it was supposed to be a comedy and that there would be a lot of laughing involved in this and there really wasn’t. It was not the light-hearted comedy that I expected at all. Don’t get me wrong, there were definitely some funny parts, but overall it was actually a fairly dark and disturbing movie.
I loved the acting, of course, I would expect no less from this cast. Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Red Mist, is one of my all time favorite actors and it was interesting to see him in a role that wasn’t his normal geeky-funny guy part. Aaron Johnson did a wonderful job as the lead character, Kick-Ass. He definitely portrayed the normal-guy-that-wants-to-be-a-superhero-but-then-realizes-it-might-not-be-all-it’s-cracked-up-to-be part incredibly well. And, obviously, Nicholas Cage is just awesome so that’s enough said there.
All in all, I did enjoy this movie but just be prepared that it’s not the comedy that it seems. It’s got a very unique underlying feel and there are definitely some parts that are more than a little disturbing. This is not one that I would take the kids to see, especially if you have an 11 year old girl that thinks knives are cool. But, it was definitely worth seeing and I was very impressed with how unique and different it was than anything else that I’ve seen in a very, very, very long time.

Adam's thoughts:
4.5 pops

Okay folks you all know how I am about superheroes. I’m one of the biggest geeks most people come across. I love the comic books, I love the movies and I watch the shows. Hell, if I had the money I’d even collect the toys. The fact that this movie's plot rode on the concept of real people trying to be super heroic was a good message. Granted, by the time the action started picking up it was more on the un-realistic side. But then again this movie is about super heroes.
When I watch movies I tend to look for the concept I can relate to. The main character who is played famously by Aaron Johnson was an every day school kid who was tired of the indifference of good men. I love movies with the every day Joe being thrust into extraordinary circumstances and coming out as the hero. To me that is a wonderful plot line and I love seeing it represented. Aaron Johnson is not someone I've seen in a whole bunch of movies but he did a wonderful job as the main character.
The movie took you through a bunch of different roller casters and I loved that. One moment it was a comedy, the next a romance, at one point an action flick, and in the end a message for all of us not to stand by and just watch when evil happens. To me the message is what meant the most and the way it was brought out in the middle of the movie was good. The more I write here about the movie the more I realize there were even more messages implanted in this movie for the every day man. All of them are good codes to live by.
I STRONGLY recommend anyone who enjoys action and comedy to go see this movie. In the end you’ll get an epic feel despite the laughs and the explosions. The Epic feel is what is planted beneath the flash and glamour and I think that is a wonderful way to do it. I applaud Matthew Vaughn in doing what he could to make this movie happen, even when the other big companies wouldn’t pick him up.
Now I just got my ordered wet suit and hockey mask. Time to go out their and KICK SOME ASS! – (warning: If you know me or have my phone number please attempt to stop me from this stupid act, thank you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment